Visit our Garden Services Web Site: www.PembertonGardening.com
Follow us on Facebook: Pemberton Garden Services
Follow me on Twitter: @MarksGardening

Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer Lawn Care Tips

By Mark Saidnawey, WBZ TV4 Gardening Expert

I for one love my lawn and I work very hard at keeping it healthy and looking lush and green, even during the dog days of summer.    All you need to do is give it a little attention once a week.

The key, Here are some helpful tips to help you keep your yard looking its best even in the middle of the summer



Mowing and Watering:
If you mow your own lawn be sure to keep the setting of the height of the wheels on the 2nd highest setting.  The taller the grass is kept the better it is for keeping it from burning.  Mow less frequently will also encourage a thicker and fuller lawn which will can help prevent crab grass and other weeds from emerging during the heat of the summer.

When watering, try watering less frequently and for a longer period of time.  This will encourage the roots to grow deeper therefore making them stronger during time of severe drought.

Fertilizing:
Just because it's summer time and you may be on vacation it doesn't mean your lawn doesn't need attention too.  I apply a summer application of fertilizer in mid July to help keep my lawn strong and healthy.   You can apply a synthetic fertilizer like Scott's Step 2, or if you would like a great organic fertilizer Espoma makes a lawn food too.  Both have high levels of Nitrogen which is great for promoting strong healthy growth.


Seeding:
So what do you do if you have large areas of dead grass, brown patches, or even worse a dog?

Even though I suggest waiting until the weather is cooler for large re-seeding you can certainly seed some of the brown patches you may have. There are several great pre-mixed patch seed products on the market and all are effective in helping you get the yard back in tip top shape.  All you need to do is to dig up the dead areas and spread the seed mix and just water after.  Easy peasy.

But what about Maggie?  Maggie, our families yellow lab!  She loves to pee in the same spot in the lawn and yes, it's all brown.  Well, have no fear.  You can buy Dog Patch mixes too.  Simply apply as you would any repair kit and they will help turn Maggie's spot green again!

Well there you have it!  Follow these tips and you too can have a healthy lush lawn.  The key, Mowing, watering and feeding.  Get into a regular schedule of these and you should be good to go.

Feel free to email contact me with any questions or comments at Mark@PembertonFarms.com

Mark Saidnawey
Pemberton Garden Services
2225 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, Ma 02140

17 comments:

  1. I revealed a lot of attractive stuffs contained by your blog particularly its conversation & the pictures are simply stunning and amazingly. This is my first occasion I visit here. Well, this is a very valuable post for me. Thanks for the information you provided. It would be great if got more post like this. I appreciate it. BY - Garden Design Company

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you like my blogs. I must admit, some are very helpful to us all. Cheers, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas and your knowledge is very creative. You have good defined the Artificial Grass, it has more benefit than natural grass. It is a viable and cost-effective alternative to managing a traditional lawn. I have been following your blog for a long time and I find many useful info for my web. Pls take a look at my web and let me know if we can help each other.
    Artificial Turf Costs

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grass needs to be trimmed to three inches in order for the lawn to remain healthy. What adds to the beauty of the lawn is not the smallness of the grass but the evenness.
    Lawn Maintenance in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  5. A healthy summer lawn yard starts with proper maintenance all year round. Always keep your lawn hydrated! Water it every early morning or late in the evening. You have to invest your time, effort and patience to keep your lawn healthy, regardless of the season.

    -Katy Eagles

    ReplyDelete
  6. When it comes to feeding, autumn is really one of the best times for it because doing so would ensure that the lawn is supplied with the nutrients that are necessary for it to remain healthy throughout the course of winter. Feeding will also be instrumental in fending off any of the diseases that are usually associated with the progression of autumn. And while giving the much needed boost to your plants' strength and resistance, there is also the added incentive in making it greener than ever.

    Lawn Care Vacaville CA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your post.it is a nice post.For any homeowner, lawn care is sure to be an important thing. The overall look and aesthetics of the home are certainly affected by the lawn, so it is necessary that the lawn is properly cared for and maintained. The amount of lawn care and specific work that is involved often depends on the climate and the size of the property. This can be done by the homeowner or a professional lawn company can be hired to do this work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog post! I am so envious of the yards pictures that you have shown. I think I will find the Local Edge Contact Info that a friend gave to me, and I will see if they can help me out with my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! great post. Thanks for sharing a very interesting and informative content, it is a big help to me and to others as well, keep it up!
    Without proper care, however, you’ll run into even more work. Moss and weeds can take over, patches may dry out and turn brown, you may have a crab grass takeover, or disease can strike. Proper lawn care can help prevent many of these from happening.



    lawn care saugus ma

    ReplyDelete
  10. tampalawncare.org "Tampa Lawn Care provides the most reliable lawn care service in the Tampa Bay and surrounding areas. Quality lawn care you can count on." Click Here To Check This Site
    tampa lawn care
    tampa lawn service

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks For posting . Its Really nice . Keep update a more blogs.Thanks for sharing the knowledge and great ideas..
    Lawn Aeration Vacaville CA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! I will try and use these more in the future!

    David | Lawn Care Orlando

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maintaining a beautiful lawn can be a daunting process especially for residents of NJ who experience all for seasons. The drastic weather changes reek havoc on our lawns as a result. With a great pair of lawn sprinklers, nj can enjoy that lush green oasis they longed for in less time and with less energy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maintaining a lawn is quite a task for me since I really don't like doing it. But it keeps the house beautiful so I really have to. I just need some Atlanta fertilizers for the grass to grow real good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice post, Mark. Great tips about the mowing and watering, also, you pointed out good seeding is important. Having an outdoor sprinkler system is very helpful. Thanks again for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice information! I am intimidated by the excellence of information. There are a lot of high-quality funds here. I am sure I will visit this site again soon. I know something information, to know you can click here
    Lawn services brisbane
    Lawn mowing services brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......Nice post Dude keep it up.
    I have appreciate with getting lot of good and reliable and legislative information with your post......
    gardening Brisbane
    garden maintenance Brisbane

    ReplyDelete